About the Customer:
Our Customer is a leading manufacturer of Medical Weighing Scales and Measuring instruments. They are a world leader with business footprint spread across more than 100 countries.
The customer was looking for a robust software solution, that could inherently address existing limitations and enhance the functionality of one of their medical device product lines.
They were confronted with the following challenges:
- Support for rollback of a remote firmware (OTA) upgrade was missing.
- Though the medical devices were developed for global audience, there was support for only a limited number of global languagesThe customer wanted a cost-effective solution to extend the number of languages in which the system content is displayed. This was necessary to enhance the global level usability of their medical devices.
- Stringent FDA regulatory requirements: Customer felt the need for expert guidance in embedded software development, as per the FDA standards
After initial brainstorming sessions and technical workshops, the customer found a reliable technology solution partner in Embitel.
Embitel’s embedded software development team, consisting of Firmware developers and test engineers, got on-board. They performed an in-depth analysis of the software architecture of the medical device.
Let us have a quick look at the solution roadmap, which was followed by this team:
- Enabling Multi-Language Support: We customised and re-configured the software of the devices, to extend support for multiple languages. We also enabled the end-users, with the feature , to set and see the content, notifications alerts & more, in their preferred language.
- Enabling Rollback of Firmware versions: Embitel implemented a solution to enable rollback of any upgradation of firmware image on the field devices through firmware-over-the-air(FOTA).
- Configuration & Customization of Admin & Security Settings: We enabled the end-user (with valid credentials), to configure the medical device as per his/her requirements. Earlier, only an admin user could configure the system with a pre-defined universal admin credential.We also developed a custom login solution, whereby an end-user can create a custom password on switching on the system for the first time. This also facilitated an enhanced security against any unauthorized system access.
- Enabling Custom maintenance Schedule for the devices: The devices were programmed for customized maintenance and service schedule. This has enabled the user to set custom service reminders, as per their convenience
- New UI (User Interface) for Better CX (Customer Experience): The device UI was given a make-over by designing a new interface for admin support, multi-language support – as per the wireframe shared by the customer.
- Quality Check at every stage of the development process: Rigorous Code quality checks were carried out for bug detection. This also helped to check the software against any vulnerability that may have got introduced during the development stage.
- Testing : We performed manual and automated testing of the software solution.
- Customized development process as per the FDA guidelines: We followed a custom software ( design, development, update) processes, which were strictly verified for FDA compliance. And in order to ensure FDA-compliance, we performed a project impact analysis to evaluate the impact of the proposed changes on the end device.
- Our domain knowledge and on-field experience proved to be a value-add.
- Our team was able to, identify & implement innovative business logic, for the challenges and requirements specified by the customer.
Tools and Technologies:
- Qt software toolkit
- Linux OS
- SQL database query language