In Embitel’s IoT implementation journey of more than 14 years, our IoT Consultants have delivered industrial, enterprise and automotive predictive maintenance solutions for customers across India, US and Europe.
Embitel’s successful PdM deployments encompass the following:
- Industry 4.0 – Solar Energy tracking system, Industrial drive controls
- Enterprise – Enterprise Battery Management Systems (BMS)
- Automotive – Predictive Maintenance for vehicle parts
The business benefits that can be derived from our IoT predictive maintenance solutions include:
- Higher Asset Availability
- Improved Work-force Productivity
- Optimized Energy Consumption
- Lower operational costs
- A Fool-proof Industrial Asset Management solution at your disposal
Development Services for Cloud Based Predictive Maintenance Solutions
Our Predictive Monitoring, Analytics and SCADA solutions are custom-designed for Asset Management, based on your unique business requirements. All our PdM solutions are designed based on the Internet of Things (IoT) Technology Stack.
Listed below are our services pertaining to IoT Predictive Maintenance to help our partners achieve a winning RoI:
- We assist in 24/7 predictive monitoring of your field-deployed industrial and enterprise assets with the help of a well-designed network of IoT sensors. This ensures reduced reaction time to faults and instances of unplanned downtimes.
- Based on your Enterprise Asset Management requirements, the monitoring activities and collection of data can be configured as time-based or trigger-based (occurs when a specific event takes place).
- We help in Dataset preparation by refining the collected data. This data filtering ensures that only the relevant set of enterprise data is used for further processing.
- With integrated advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) data analytics tools, enable your Industrial Asset maintenance and support teams to make more accurate and intelligent decisions.
- These AI tools are used to gain insights from volumes of IoT sensor data, which are crucial to make critical Predictive Maintenance (PdM) decisions.
- An occurrence of defect or failure may not be a one-day event. This might have been caused due to changes in operating conditions or state of an industrial asset over a period of time.
- Our Predictive Monitoring solutions use historic data including error logs, failed as well as successful outcomes, warnings associated with an industrial equipment – as data records.
- Our Predictive Maintenance (PdM) solution analyses & processes these data records leveraging Machine Learning (ML) techniques. This helps in detecting any anomalous equipment behaviour and thereby predicting its possible failure based on data insights.
- Real-time Industrial IoT data is represented in a visual and graphical format for an enhanced end-user experience.
- With its operator-centric HMI, our predictive maintenance dashboard is designed to enable accurate and faster decision-making.
- Our Industrial IoT interface can also be integrated with touch, voice and gesture based controls as per your business requirements.
Expertise in IoT Tools and Technologies
- Message Queuing Telemetry Transport (MQTT): Regarded as a very versatile and lightweight protocol, MQTT is ideal for environments that allow optimal bandwidth usage. MQTT protocol has minimal code footprint and can run on any type of operating systems.
- NarrowBand IoT (NB-IoT): Designed for applications that require the transmission of small chunks of data over longer periods of time, NB-IoT technology consumes less power, is easy to deploy, offers extended long range coverage and is very reliable and secure.
- Open Platform Communications (OPC): Open Platform Communications or OPC is one of the most widely used protocols for the reliable and safe exchange of data. OPC is a great value addition to an IoT system as it can facilitate safe streaming of data to desired destinations such as a cloud app or a third-party app. Some of the data types captured in OPC are:
- Real time parameter data
- Historical Data
- Alarm and alerts
IoT Predictive Maintenance Customer Success Story
Find out how we are partnering with industry leaders to create intelligent, fool-proof industrial maintenance systems using Predictive Maintenance (PdM):
How our Team Delivered a Predictive Maintenance Solution for UPS Battery Monitoring System
- Business Challenge:
- Our customer is a trusted Tier-I supplier of electric and automation systems for Industrial Plants. On one of their Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) field deployment tests, they found a critical issue related to timely maintenance.
- In the absence of an IoT solution for battery monitoring, our customer could not deliver the advantages of predictive maintenance to their clients. Thus, they were looking for an IoT software development partner for custom-development of an advanced Industrial automation solution.
- Embitel Solution & Impact:
- Zero system downtime due to Predictive Maintenance (PdM) of the in-service UPS
- Reduced the overall cost of ownership for the client
- Enabled their system to efficiently address load balance challenges during the charge and discharge cycles
- Tools and Technology:
- ZigBee, EnOcean, Bluetooth and Wifi protocols/technologies
- Design, development and integration of cloud based SaaS
- iOS/Android App and a web dashboard that delivered a ‘delightful user experience’ to administrators through intuitive UI/UX design
- Tensorflow: Machine Learning Library for differentiable programming and deep learning
- Microsoft Azure Blob Storage: for reliable storage of data
- Python Script: data extraction and data cleansing
System Design of our IoT Predictive Maintenance Solutions
- Following are the primary components of our predictive maintenance solutions:
- Sensor network for Data Collection: : A powerful network of IoT sensor nodes are integrated with the industrial assets to constantly monitor their conditions. These IoT sensors collect real time data regarding current health of the assets. The collected data is compared with the pre-configured threshold values to detect or predict malfunctions.
- IoT Gateway hardware and software: Microcontroller Hardware board and software design of the IoT Gateway can be custom-made as per the project requirements. The IoT gateway acts as a communication bridge between the IoT sensor nodes and cloud back-end.
- Machine Learning for Predictive Analysis: Raw data from sensors is converted into actionable insights at the Cloud backend.
- Data is filtered to identify relevant information from raw data.
- Depending on the project requirements, predictive maintenance algorithms (Machine Learning, Deep Learning etc) can be integrated with the Cloud Application. The data is processed and analysed using Machine Learning models and AI tools (based on project requirements), to accurately predict equipment failure.
- The Cloud backend also hosts databases and an interface is designed to manage integrated third party systems.
- Mobile and/or Web interface: With operator centric HMI/UI, the mobile app and/or web dashboard act as a central control unit for managing the plant operations. Data is made available real-time and user-role management, report generation and other plugin integrations can be customized as per the requirements.
Meet Our IoT Leaders
With more than 19 years of experience in IoT product development, Vidya Sagar is at the helm of our IoT Business Unit. A leader with great foresight, he is able to effortlessly forge long-lasting relationships with clients and spearhead our IoT project successes.Vidya Sagar Jampani, Business Unit Head (IoT)
(The Master of all ‘IoT Trades’!)
A veteran in the Embedded Engineering and Software Development domain, Suhas is a visionary leader. Suhas and team have been involved in multiple large-scale and challenging projects at Embitel and have ensured their successful delivery.Suhas Tanawade, Senior Delivery and Account Manager, IoT
Ans. Our IoT team has experience in partnering with global customers, to develop reliable and efficient Predictive Maintenance systems. We collaborate with customers based on the following business models:
- Complete Solution Package: Under this model, we will be involved in the Design, Development, Maintenance and Upgrade of IoT Predictive Maintenance solution for your industrial assets.
- Develop and Transfer Package: In this model, we design and develop the Predictive Maintenance solution and deliver it to your in-house team. Post-deployment, your in-house IT team can take charge of the maintenance and operation of the entire system. We can partner with your teams for any specific upgrade (a new framework to be included, a new tool to be integrated, etc.). Additionally, under either of the mentioned engagement models, customers can also subscribe to our solution upgrades, that are released periodically, by paying the subscription charges.
Ans. In our Predictive Maintenance Solutions, we support multiple channels to alert the maintenance team about a possible machine failure or a maintenance issue. We can inform your maintenance and support teams through:
- Email alerts, or
- Text based alert messages via any of the standard messaging applications such as SMS or WhatsApp
Based on your Industrial Maintenance use-case, we can implement all the necessary alert mechanisms.
Ans.A Predictive Maintenance system is based on a reliable, information-intensive model for industrial asset Management. You can use the real-time information about your industrial assets to enhance your business offerings and gain competitive advantage.
The Predictive Maintenance analytics information can be leveraged for:
- Identifying ‘When’ & ‘How often’ you want to service the equipment. Thus identifying a maintenance schedule, that enhances asset availability & productivity.
- Learning about the failure conditions of your industrial assets, in detail. This includes having a better knowledge of the possible failure types; root cause analysis of the failure; any additional metrics to clearly evaluate the conditions of particular industrial equipment.
- To improve & optimize the design of your industrial equipment to overcome any faulty behavior based on the predictive analytics data. This will greatly trim down your bottom line expenses.
- The historical data can be used to predict the performance behavior of the equipment and the production line under different conditions. This will help you preempt any major fault by identifying and reporting even a minute anomaly in equipment behavior, to avoid downtime
Ans. Our team behind IoT Predictive maintenance Solution comprises of:
- Cloud Computing Experts
- Hardware Engineers
- Network design Engineers
- IoT Architects and developers
- Big Data Experts
- Embedded Firmware developers
- IoT based connectivity protocol Experts
Ans. One of the main challenges associated with developing an IoT based Predictive Maintenance Solution is the fact that there is no universal/ one-size-fits-all predictive maintenance framework.
Every industry facility is unique, with its own set of “specialized information” to be collected for reliable Enterprise Asset Management.
To achieve desired business objectives, a Predictive Maintenance solution needs to be tailor-made for the specific industrial use case, taking into account the behavior and design parameters of the production line.
Thus, the success of the Predictive Maintenance project is dependent on the following factors:
- Identifying the data collection and data management requirements – this includes defining what data is to be gathered and planning how and where (on-cloud or on-premise) the data will be processed.
- Defining the metrics and parameters to monitor the industrial equipment, as this forms the basis of the entire maintenance operations.
At Embitel, our IoT experts conduct detailed workshops for our clients to discuss and define their industrial asset Management goals and design a customized IoT Predictive Maintenance solution for them.
Ans. The decision to choose between an On-premise & On-cloud model for storage & processing of your industrial asset data depends on the following factors:
- The allocated budget for the project
- Annual operating costs
- How much and what all type of data is to be stored (like real –time data, historical data etc.)
- Number of times devices or equipment are used daily for operations (this is important to identify its criticality).
- Number of times the equipment has to be analyzed.
Ans. Our Predictive Maintenance solutions can coexist with the legacy industrial assets and production systems as long as there is a well-defined software protocol that gathers the data, externally from the equipment.
Ans. At Embitel, we have developed in-depth expertise in filtering techniques (using Python script and statistical models) necessary to identify relevant data from the humungous amount of raw data.
Our teams have deep understanding of the data cleansing techniques and they ensure that the filtered data is error-free and reliable
Ans. The criticality of accuracy of the results delivered by Predictive Analytics varies as per the use-case.
For example, 99% accuracy in predicting equipment failure is very critical for safety-intensive applications such as medical equipment, automotive applications, factory shop-floors, etc.
We can help you achieve 99% accuracy in predicting equipment failure, provided we have access to a large volume of valid data sets (historic data- error logs, failure and successful events).
If the volume of available and relevant data logs is less, then 85-95% accuracy can be achieved.
IoT Predictive Maintenance – Knowledge Bytes
What is the role of NarrowBand IoT (NBIoT) in enabling Predictive Maintenance of enterprise & industrial assets?
- NarrowBand IoT or NB-IoT is one of the prominent mobile Internet of Things Technologies that offers a cost-effective & low power wide area connectivity.
- Of late, Narrow Band IoT has found extensive application in industrial automation solutions, especially for predictive monitoring and Industrial Asset Management.
- The following are some of the salient features offered by Narrow Band IoT technology.
- Higher penetration power: NB-IoT can be used to connect IoT sensors with factory equipment located in deep pockets, underground levels and other inaccessible places.
- Flexible: NB-IoT is based on Mobile wireless technology that offers more flexibility and reduced deployment cost as compared to a wired connection.
- Optimized for low Power consumption: NB-IoT is a 3GPP-standardised low-power wide area technology.
- Optimized for small data rate: NB-IoT technology has an optimised data transfer rate making it suitable for applications that require reliable transfer of small, intermittent blocks of data.
- Secure and reliable: It supports a host of security features.
What is Predictive maintenance?
- Predictive Maintenance involves techniques to pre-determine an equipment fault or potential problem, that could over a period of time reduce the efficiency or cause damage to the industrial assets.
- A Predictive maintenance solution leverages the data, aggregated by a number of IoT sensors, and performs an in-depth data analysis to predict any anomaly in the functioning of the critical equipment.
- One of the main advantages of the Predictive maintenance model is that it performs non-interference monitoring and maintenance of the equipment. This minimizes the machine/ production downtimes, which are otherwise one of the major contributors of high operational costs.
Related Blogs: Learn more about Predictive Maintenance Solutions, Future Trends of Industrial Asset Management & more
- Does the Future of Industrial Asset Management Belong to Predictive Maintenance?
- What is Predictive Maintenance (PdM)? Learn How Industrial IoT Enables PdM
- Predictive Maintenance case-studies from Railway, Energy, Oil & Minerals Industries: The Challenges and Benefits
- [Vlog] How Does a Predictive Maintenance (PdM) Solution Work?