Android And Linux Porting Services For Embedded Systems
Porting of Android or Linux in Embedded Product: Advantages and Best Practices
Porting of open-source Linux and Android for embedded product development, instead of porting a proprietary operating systems offer several advantages.
Following are some of the advantages:
- Android and Linux OS is GPLv2.0 licensed. This means these are open-source software and hence one ends-up saving licensing cost
- Support and maintenance services for proprietary OS, device drivers and kernels may not be available free of cost.
- Porting Android or Linux operating systems provides flexibility to the project. Your developers can integrate customized and open-source software packages and components.
- Linux or Android porting, more often than not, results in reduced time-to-market. This is due to the availability of open-source software packages that may need minimum customisations
Before kick-starting your Android or Linux porting projects following are some of the best practices your embedded software development partner should take care of:
Android/Linux Software Porting Services for Embedded Solution Development
- End-to-end development and support for Bootloader, device driver, kernel development and root-file system integrations for Android or Linux porting.
- Expertise in customization and optimization of device drivers for bootloader and kernel
- Testing services: Expertise in open-source and proprietary tools for functional testing and sanity testing of each module. Expertise in writing customized test frameworks.
- System Profiling: Performance testing and optimization, memory optimization using static analysis of memory usage (trace-cmd, memInfo, TOP, nice, perf , valgrind, omapconf (TI Specific) and other benchmarking tools). Boot-time optimization for Android and Linux Operating Systems,
- Firmware and Software Update: development and support for Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) and/or Over the Air (OTA) updates for micro-controllers and Android/Linux OS respectively.
- Android porting expertise:
- Support for Android BSP porting to custom hardware platform and up-gradation to latest Android OS versions
- Support for Android CTS (Compatibility Test Suit) and Application development as per the CTS compliance.
- Customization of wireless Bluetooth Stacks like Bluez / Bluedroid
- Linux porting expertise:
- Support for Linux BSP porting to custom hardware platform and up-gradation to latest Linux OS versions
- Expertise in YOCTO buildroot framework.
- Customization, development and integration with new software stacks like OBD-II
- Expertise in Jenkins, CI and CB.
- Integration of Flash memories Like NAND and NOR
Meet Our IoT Leaders
IoT in Action: Customer Success Stories
Android Solution for Healthcare Technology Company
- Business Challenge:
- The mobile app architecture design should support adaptability to different medical conditions, future scalability of features, code re-usability, seamless integration of third-party plugins and API
- Making the data of patients available across devices, and also online and offline
- Design and development of custom controls which are not available as an off-the shelf solution in Android SDK
- Integration with third-party service server of health monitoring devices like FitBit, Jawbone, and Withings. Provision to automatically populate the data from third party devices is provided through authentication
- Integration with Google-Fit API
- Data dashboard with graphical representations – an elaborate, flexible and editable end-user dashboard interface. The analysis of the captured data can be reviewed, modified and deleted by the user based on the access rights.
- Based on the data analysis, the app provides the guidance to the user related to food habits, life-style changes, stress control information and more.
- The android mobile app provides support to manage an appointment with a doctor or healthcare professional. This feature supports regular appointment reminders and sharing of data with the expert through ‘export to PDF’.
Android Mobile App interface for Automotive Control Units (ECU)
- Android based smartphone application to control and analyze automotive control unit functionalities
- French Tier1 supplier in Automotive domain
- Design and development of Android application, firmware for body control modules, and bluetooth interface
- Android application supports configuration, flashing and monitoring of the control unit functionalities
- Implemented CAN/LIN gateway to support flashing the slave ECUs over LIN
- Encryption/Decryption and seed-key alogrithm to esnsure data security and data integrity