Android And Linux Porting Services For Embedded Systems
Porting of Android or Linux in Embedded Product: Advantages and Best Practices
Porting of open-source Linux and Android for embedded product development, instead of porting a proprietary operating systems offer several advantages.
Following are some of the advantages:
- Android and Linux OS is GPLv2.0 licensed. This means these are open-source software and hence one ends-up saving licensing cost
- Support and maintenance services for proprietary OS, device drivers and kernels may not be available free of cost.
- Porting Android or Linux operating systems provides flexibility to the project. Your developers can integrate customized and open-source software packages and components.
- Linux or Android porting, more often than not, results in reduced time-to-market. This is due to the availability of open-source software packages that may need minimum customisations
Before kick-starting your Android or Linux porting projects following are some of the best practices your embedded software development partner should take care of:
Android/Linux Software Porting Services for Embedded Solution Development
- End-to-end development and support for Bootloader, device driver, kernel development and root-file system integrations for Android or Linux porting.
- Expertise in customization and optimization of device drivers for bootloader and kernel
- Testing services: Expertise in open-source and proprietary tools for functional testing and sanity testing of each module. Expertise in writing customized test frameworks.
- System Profiling: Performance testing and optimization, memory optimization using static analysis of memory usage (trace-cmd, memInfo, TOP, nice, perf , valgrind, omapconf (TI Specific) and other benchmarking tools). Boot-time optimization for Android and Linux Operating Systems,
- Firmware and Software Update: development and support for Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) and/or Over the Air (OTA) updates for micro-controllers and Android/Linux OS respectively.
- Android porting expertise:
- Support for Android BSP porting to custom hardware platform and up-gradation to latest Android OS versions
- Support for Android CTS (Compatibility Test Suite) and Application development as per the CTS compliance.
- Customization of wireless Bluetooth Stacks like Bluez / Bluedroid
- Linux porting expertise:
- Support for Linux BSP porting to custom hardware platform and up-gradation to latest Linux OS versions
- Expertise in YOCTO buildroot framework.
- Customization, development and integration with new software stacks like OBD-II
- Expertise in Jenkins, CI and CB.
- Integration of Flash memories Like NAND and NOR
Meet Our IoT Leaders
IoT in Action: Customer Success Stories
Linux OS Porting for Fleet Management Solution Provider
- Business Challenge:
- Establish and Customize YOCTO Build System for different versions of hardware platform.
- Customizing u-boot, kernel and rootfs.
- Integration Of Open Source Drivers, 3rd party drivers and Vendor Provided device drivers.
- Implementing power management.
- Develop Hardware Abstraction Layer ( HAL)for modules GPS, GSM etc.
- Develop Validation Test Framework.
- Design and develop Firmware Over-The-Air (FOTA).
Porting of Android OS on Toradex SoM for a Smart Electric Scooter
- Business Challenge:
- Setting up the Build Environment
- Porting of Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) onto Toradex SOM which was running Linux 3.14
- Integration of Android with the required hardware and software modules
- User acceptance testing