Android Infotainment Solution Development
Product Development Roadmap
Req. Analysis & Technology Consulting
HMI/UI /UX strategy
Mock screen design and conduct usability tests
Framework for secure installations of apps
Hardware | Software | 3rd party integration | Testing
Maintenance & Support
Pre and post production support
An Android Infotainment Design: What are the Software Features
Built for Android
Version Android 7 Nougat
App Development & Integration
Navigation Maps/Co-pilot, Fuel Station, Music Apps
Phone Pairing App
Contacts sync and call management
Communication and Diag Stacks
OBD-II, J1939, UDS, KWP 2000
Voice commands and V2X integration
4-way Camera App
Cameras – reverse, forward & blind spot view
An Infotainment Platform for Automotive Applications: What are the Hardware Features
Integration with LCD, GPS , WiFi, HDMI 1.4 modules
Custom Development and Porting
Board Support Package (BSP)
Custom Development and Porting
Device drivers development
Display, Touch, ADC, Power Supply, Camera, BT, WiFi, GPS, Audio, CAN
Customer Success Stories
Automotive Infotainment Solution for Commercial Vehicles
- Our embedded software/hardware developers and infotainment testing team collaborated with a Tier-I Automotive Supplier for an Infotainment project.
- This automotive infotainment solution has been designed for Android operating system, based on Freescale/NXP i.MX 6 platform.
- The designed in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) solution is now under production for deployment in commercial vehicles.
Production-grade Android Infotainment System for an Electric Scooter Start-up
- The existing Infotainment System of our customer had been developed on Linux. They partnered with us for porting of the Infotainment Solution to Android OS.
- Development of a Cost-Effective Digital Instrument Cluster for ICE Powered Two-Wheelers.
- Benefits of porting to the Android OS:
- The customer could leverage the robust ecosystem of App Development.
- Embitel’s Android Infotainment team integrated the open-source software packages of Android. This translated into a significant reduction of development time and costs.
Handbook: Software and Hardware Services for Product Development of Android Infotainment
Let’s partner for Custom-designed, Production-Grade, Android Based Infotainment System with Touch & Gesture Controls
Your Partner for Android Infotainment Solution Development and Testing Services
- As your infotainment solution partner, we provide end-to-end support throughout your product development roadmap – product strategy, product architecture, technology selection, UI/UX design, infotainment software and hardware development, product validation and engineering support.
- Our library of pre-tested vehicle communication and vehicle diagnostics stacks can be readily integrated to reduce development time and cost – J1939 stack and Boot Loader, OBD 2 stack, UDS, KWP 2000, ISOBus and more.
- Our Product Engineering team has in-depth experience of delivering projects in areas of Car Heads-up Display (HUD), Telematics, Automotive ECU, ADAS, In-vehicle networking and Vehicle diagnostics.
- Our experienced embedded developers have the software and hardware skill-sets to develop advanced Infotainment product features.
FAQs Regarding Our Automotive Infotainment Solution
Ans. Our Automotive Team undertook an intensive research and analysis of the capabilities offered by Android OS for automotive infotainment application.
We also analyzed the features of Android OS w.r.t the customer requirements and their pain-points
Android emerged as an ideal Operating System for an In-vehicle Infotainment solution. Following are some of the compelling reasons for the same:
- Android software stack comes integrated with necessary connectivity modules like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and more and low-level device drivers and software layers.
- The UI can be easily custom-designed, with the help of platforms like QT.
- As an infotainment developer, one can focus on the customization and development of the Application Layer, without worrying about the underlying software layers
- Third party libraries are not required to be integrated, as Android brings the complete software package on the table.
- As part of the future growth strategy, Automotive Industry is a core focus area for Google. This will ensure that Google continues to provide robust support for the automotive applications and release more feature-rich versions of Android Automotive.
- Being an open source platform, the source code is available and it is easy to personalize the OS as per the specific needs of the customer.
- App deployment ecosystem of Android offers a lot of advantages that reduce time-to-market for In-Vehicle Infotainment products
Ans. We have integrated Sygic navigation and Co-pilot Maps with our In-Vehicle Infotainment reference design. Sygic and Copilot Maps are easy to integrate and require no additional certification.
Ans. The primary pre-requisite is the Google Play service certification. It is a background service and API package that is required by every Android device, if its wishes to use Google’s services such as Maps.
Ans. The open source nature of Android is one of the reasons for its popularity and wide-spread adoption.
However, it does pose some security concerns. But if proper security measures are put in place, Android is as secure as any of its competitors.
At Embitel, we take care of all the potential security issues that can crop up and make sure the car infotainment software is completely secured. One of them is to get your Android infotainment system certified by Google which can solve some of the security issues.
Ans. We have a very robust and comprehensive reference design for our automotive infotainment system and many of its components can be reused.
This reduces the development time required for POC, prototype and production-grade solution development. The reusability of many of the components also lowers the development cost.
Components that can be reused for prototype development
- Hardware/ Software components for Instrument Cluster
- Automotive connectivity and diagnostics Stacks like J1939, UDS,OBD2,CAN, CAN FD, and more
- Software Libraries and APIs
- Hardware Platform and peripheral components (depends on requirement and BOM)
- Music, Camera and phone apps
- Gesture control module
- Voice control module
- UI components
Ans. We can develop the Proof of Concept in 3-5 months’ time. However, the prototype development turnaround time would depend on the customization required.
Ans. Google certification is not mandatory for in-vehicle infotainment devices as of now. However, if you wish to use some of the services provided by Google, you need to be certified.
In order to get your software certified, we need to run Compatibility Test Suite which is available for download from Android’s website.
After the test is completed, we need to contact an authorized third party vendor to get the certification. Embitel can assist you in running the compatibility test on custom hardware.
Ans. Embitel offers a suite of services for automotive infotainment solution that covers solution ideation to production-ready system.
Here is a complete list of technology services:
- Proof of concept development
- Support in choosing the H/W and S/W components
- Custom prototype development
- Production-Ready design
- Connectivity Stack Integration (CAN, J1939 etc.)
- Support for verification and certification from Google and other third party authorities
Ans. Yes, we provide complete support for the validation and certification of the hardware components. We also help our customers in choosing the right components that exactly fit their requirements.
Ans. Yes. We take functional safety aspect of infotainment systems very seriously and implement ISO 26262 framework in letter and spirit.
We have a clearly defined safety, quality and technical safety management and all processes (design to deployment) based on ISO 26262 best practices
We perform end-to-end safety analysis at Concept System Software Hardware level.
Ans. Yes. We have been closely following the evolution of in-vehicle infotainment into a multi-display system.
Our expertise is well aligned with this new concept and our team is equipped with all the technical know-how to build a multi-display infotainment system or an integrated automotive infotainment system
Related Blogs & Videos: Automotive Infotainment Solution
- Infotainment design strategies blog: What are the hardware and software challenges in automotive IVI development and infotainment testing
- Successful implementation of our Android Infotainment project for a Tier-I Supplier: Infotainment project milestones and automotive IVI features
- Integration of ADAS (V2X) modules in Automotive Infotainment system: Critical embedded technologies and Infotainment UI development
- Automotive Infotainment system development based on Freescale/NXP i.MX6 platform: Learn about automotive IVI hardware development
- No, Android Auto is not an Infotainment OS; Make Way for Android Automotive!
- How Automotive ECU Consolidation is Powering the Multi-Display Infotainment System in Cars
- A Curious Case of In-Vehicle Infotainment System for Two-Wheelers
- A Car with a Cockpit: How Digital Cockpit Solutions are Making This a Reality
- [Video] The Motorcycle Diaries of a Digitally Connected Era
- Have You Met Android Treble: An Introduction and Analysis of its Benefits for the Automotive Industry
- Infotainment v/s Instrument Cluster: Why a Digital Instrument Cluster is an Ideal Low-Cost Solution for Electric Scooters