IoT Solution for Solar Energy Harvesting
IoT Gateway, Solar Tracker & Cloud based SCADA Solution for Energy Harvesting
Return on Investments (RoI) of your Solar Energy plant is majorly dependent on the efficient harvesting of the energy by the Solar Panels. This can be ensured only when the solar panels follow the sun’s trajectory efficiently throughout the day.
Our industry proven, IoT based Sun Tracking system and intelligent software solution is designed to help you achieve the best out of your investments
Our IoT based Solar Energy Harvesting platform comprises of following components:
- An IoT system designed in a master and slave architecture of trackers to control the Solar PV modules
- A Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA) system for remote monitoring and control of the field-deployed Solar Panels
Features of our end-to-end IoT solution for Solar Energy Harvesting
Components of IoT powered Solar Tracking System:
- Master Controller: The master controller is responsible for coordinating and controlling the solar trackers. The data collected by the trackers are sent to the master and subsequently to the cloud for storage and analysis purpose. Master controller can be connected to the tracker via Zigbee protocol, WiFi and other protocols as per the requirement.
- Tracker Controller:Tracker controller is the component that does the hard work. It takes in input from master controller and controls the AC/DC motor drive that in turn moves the Solar PVs accordingly. It has the sun position algorithm, Zigbee module, RS 485, serial NOR flash, temperature and wind sensors and a few other component.
- Interface for hand-held device /Web-Dashboard: The SCADA based interface allows the monitoring and control of the master controllers and in turn the tracker controller and actuators.
The web-dashboard is a customizable interface that displays real-time data from different master controllers. The design and navigation of the dashboard can be customized based on the implementation of the solar trackers.
The multi-functional dashboard can also send pre-programmed commands to the master controller viz. CLEAN, STOW, RESET, OTA etc.
Expertise in Tools & Technologies
- Message Queuing Telemetry Transport (MQTT): MQTT is built for “Internet of Things”. Its lightweight nature makes it compatible with some of the smallest devices used in IoT.
- Zigbee Protocol: Zigbee is an industry-standard wireless communication protocol ideal for implementation where data exchange is occurring within a range of 100 meters. Its low power foot-print makes it a preferred protocol for industrial IoT.
- RS485 & MODBUS: RS-485 is one of the most reliable standards for use in serial communication system. MODBUS is a protocol that has impressive compatibility with RS-485.
[IoT Video] How Internet of Things (IoT) Powers a Solar Tracking System? – Part 1
Solar Harvesting: Customer Success Stories
Find out how we are partnering with industry leaders to create intelligent, fool-proof industrial maintenance systems using Predictive Maintenance:
IoT Platform Development & SCADA solution for the Solar Tracking System
- Business Challenge:
- Our client, one of the largest independent power producers of renewable energy in India, had to improve the efficiency of their open field implementation of solar panels.
- They wished to automate the process of the alignment of solar PVs to the changing position of the sun along the day. This would ensure that maximum amount of solar energy is captured by the solar panels thus, enhancing the efficiency of the system.
- Our team of adept IoT engineers led by the industry veterans developed an IoT application that would control the network of solar trackers.
- Based on the sun position algorithm, the trackers were able to tap maximum amount of energy from dawn to dusk.
- With our solution, one hardware board was able to control 8 trackers which 8 times compared to their existing solution.
- A SCADA system was also developed to help the client monitor the trackers from a remote location and know the health of the trackers and actuators.
Solar Energy Harvesting Customer Success Stories
- Hardware & Software Development of DC-to-DC Convertor for Solar Battery Charger for Electric Vehicles
Related Blogs: Learn more about Solar Energy Harvesting and IoT Platform
- How IoT is Enabling New Opportunities in Solar Energy Harvesting Projects
- Understanding Embedded Electronics Behind Solar Based Charging of Electric Vehicles