We develop customized motor control solutions to operate modern electric vehicle powertrains cutting across motor types such as BLDC, PMSM, SRM and induction motors. Our proven expertise in development of advanced algorithms like FOC, Field-weakening and regenerative braking ensures substantially reduced turn-around time for your EV program.
Our team has delivered customized motor control solution along with platform software, diagnostics protocols, and low-level drivers to Electric Vehicle projects across the globe. Since we provide end-to-end motor control solutions development, we respond swiftly to the requirements of our customers. So, if you have a preferred MCU for the platform or wish to design a bespoke motor drive algorithm, we have you covered!
Every motor control solution that we develop is unique in terms of peak and continuous output, operating voltage, safety features and other parameters. Our team ensures that we meet every requirement within strict timelines by taking smart and timely decisions.
[Demo Video] How our Experts Use FOC Algorithm to Overcome the Speed Error in Motor Control Solutions
Closer Look at Software and Hardware Components of a Motor Control Solution
- Microcontroller unit is responsible for power management, ECU communication and UDS based diagnostics.
- Algorithms like Field-oriented control, regenerative braking, field-weakening etc. are installed in the MCU platform.
- Generates PWM signal after processing feedback signals from various sensors.
- It is a motor controller for electric vehicle, capable of driving motors of considerable wattage for the Electric Vehicle application (two and three wheelers)
- Custom-designed hardware board that also ensures the correct delivery of power to the Motor
- Contains the pre-driver & the Power MOSFETs
- Responsible for providing the right switching patterns for the Power MOSFET
- Configurable daughter board to support higher motor power rating
- This platform can be integrated with our ready-to-deploy and reusable software stacks (UDS, J1939, OBD and others), as per your requirements.
- Facilitates inter- ECU communication by providing operating parameters of the electric drive train to the external HMI or Other ECUs in the network.
- Implements the UDS (ISO 14229) over CAN BUS diagnostics stack
- Helps in measuring the motor operating parameters
- This Motor Control solution can be integrated with motors like BLDC and PMSM (surface and interior), and AC Induction Motors (single phase and three phase) as per the requirements of the corresponding EVs
- The Motor & the inverter/power stage are tightly coupled elements.
Powered with Futuristic Technology and Features of EV Motor Control
EV motors of considerable wattage
Integrated Field Oriented Control (FOC) algorithm and field weakening feature, to ensure the best dynamic performance of motor
Design & Development
is compliant with
ISO 26262 Standard for Functional Safety
Motor Control Application
has been developed using
Model Based Development
Speed control, torque control and
Field weakening features
to achieve higher speed
Provide motor control solutions across different types of electric motors such as BLDC, PMSM, Reluctance motors and induction motors..
Optimization & Tuning of the FOC algorithm
using Plant Model Simulation in MATLAB/SIMULINK
Regenerative Braking achieved by voltage
boost using Software Algorithm with the help
of inverter and motor setup
Technology Architecture of Electric Vehicle Motor Control Platform
- The motor control solution consists of the communication, diagnostics and FOC including features like regenerative breaking and power management capabilities.
- MCU generates PWM signals that are fed to inverter that runs the electric motors such as BLDC, PMSM and Reluctance motors.
- We can develop motor control solution compliant to ISO 26262 standard as per project’s safety-criticality.
Product Engineering Services for Motor Control Solution Development
Hardware and Software Development Services
Model Based Development
Porting and Integration Services
Video Explaining Motor Control System- The Brain Behind Electric Motors
Motor Controller for Electric Vehicle Customer Success Stories
- Complex Device Driver Development for AUTOSAR Compliant Powertrain ECU
- Hardware & Software Development of DC-to-DC Convertor for Solar Battery Charger for Electric Vehicles
- Development of a Motor Controller and an Application Layer (using MATLAB), for a BLDC Motor
- Development of Electric Vehicle Platform ECU with Focus on EV Motor Control Applications
- Development of ASIL B Compliant Electric Vehicle MCU Platform Software
Related Posts: Learn More About Motor Controller For Electric Vehicle
FAQs Regarding Motor Controller for Electric Vehicles
Ans. Our platform for motor controller for electric vehicle is completely customizable, configurable and ready-to-deploy solution for your Electric Vehicle Applications.
We have designed a suite of Base Software, that consist of the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and Low-Level drivers (LLD). This Base Software can be customized for integration with your Application layer, helping you save substantial development time and cost (approximately 6-8 months).
As an additional value-add, a critical software module of the Application layer, which is Field Oriented Control (FOC) algorithm, has also been implemented and can be readily integrated with your system.
Depending on the project’s requirements, we can also partner for the development of other modules like regenerative braking, speed and torque limiting and so on, for the application layer.
For an organization, that plans to develop a prototype of motor control ECU for electric vehicles, this configurable platform is an ideal solution.
Ans. The design and development of this motor controller for electric vehicle, adheres to the guidelines of the ISO 26262 Standard for Functional Safety in Automotive.
We have a dedicated team of Functional Safety Consultants and Engineers. This team has in-depth knowledge of the ISO 26262 standard and has also delivered successful Consulting and Implementation projects for our Global Automotive Customers.
We will also extend all the necessary support; in order to help you achieved the compliance for the required ASIL value, for your EV project.
Ans. In order to minimize the bench testing and tuning efforts in the FOC algorithm, we tune it using Plant Model simulation.
Here, we simulate the actual operating environment of the Electric Motor and the Motor Controller Solution for FOC algorithm optimization.
Our Model Based Development team has expertise of more than 13 years in the Automotive Domain. They partner with our EV Team to help our customers save time & cost during Bench Testing.
Ans. Regenerative Braking is a must-have feature w.r.t an Electric Vehicle motor control system. Our platform too, is equipped with the software algorithm that does the voltage boosting necessary to achieve regenerative braking.
Ans. Our Motor controller solution for Electric Vehicles is built on TI C2000 Delfino family of microcontroller, which is an automotive grade MCU.
In order to help you develop the system on a different microcontroller, we will provide support for the necessary customization of the low-level drivers, of our base software module. The existing Hardware Abstraction Layer designed by our team can be reused completely.
Ans. Our motor controller for electric vehicle is designed to drive different types of motors including BLDC, PMSM, and AC Induction motors.
For all the applications in which these motors are integrated in an Electric Vehicle, our motor control system can be leveraged to demonstrate your PoC.
(Specifications – Our motor controller ECU can drive 2 PMSM motors of 170 Watt and 5kW each, and 1 BLDC motor of 1 kW)
One of the most widely implemented use-case is the Drivetrain of Electric Vehicles (both two-wheelers and cars).
Other auxiliary motor applications can also be built using this platform.
Electronic Power Steering is another use case of our motor controller driven BLDC motor. It may not be specific to Electric Two-Wheelers, but every electric car/truck (four-wheeler or higher) will need power-steering.
Ans. We have implemented certain diagnostics and fault-handling capabilities in the motor control system ECU.
Following algorithms for diagnostics are implemented in the application layer:
- Overload Protection
- Over-voltage, Over-current protection
- Fault detection and logging
- Temperature Monitoring
Ans. Yes, we do provide support for integration in the production environment for the motor controller ECU.
We have a team of hardware engineers who can take care of the implementation of the application, HAL and LLD in the vehicle phase.
We can carry out this activity on-site or support from our premise.
Ans. The skill set of Engineers who have developed the motor control system is as follows: