Learn About our Expertise in Functional Testing of Instrument Clusters, ADAS, Power Steering and Other Systems
Our Software & Hardware Testing teams have in-depth Automotive Domain expertise. For more than a decade, We have been partnering with Automotive OEMs’ and Suppliers from USA, China, Taiwan, South Korea, India, and Europe.
Our Testing Teams have experience in delivering projects for Functional, Unit, Integration and System testing of the following automotive products:
- Instrument Clusters (tell-tales, warnings, gauges, chimes and support for various languages)
- Seating Comfort Systems: Lumbar Massage Support.
- HVAC System (heater mats and blowers).
- Head-up display (HUD)
- ADAS components like Cruise Control
- Anti-lock braking system
- Seat & Mirror ECU (Memory Store/Recall, Easy Entry/ Easy Exit, Reverse Mirror Support)
- Electronic Power Steering (EPS)
Support for Unit Testing, Integration Testing and Functional (HIL, MIL, SIL) Testing
Our software and hardware testing engineers help you develop the ‘Test Strategies’ for the unit, integration and functional testing.
- Statement Coverage– We ensure that all code blocks are tested thoroughly. This is a preliminary testing technique that precedes branch coverage.
- Branch Coverage– In-depth view of the code by testing all conditions. Ensures no code branch causes any anomalies
- Decision or Boolean Coverage (MC/DC) – We test every possible outcome of a decision and all entry/exit points are checked. Recommended for ASIL-D compliance as per the Functional Safety framework, as defined by ISO 26262 standard.
- Expertise in Testing and Verification tools such as CANTATA, Mx-VDev, Tessy Tool, RTRT and more
- Thorough testing of each interface of the sub modules with all other modules.
- The interface code is checked to ensure proper interaction with other interfaces.
- We have expertise in delivering integration testing projects using tools like CANTATA, CAPL Script (Vector), Mx-VDev.
- We provide support for execution of test-case in order to achieve the desired ASIL Grade (ASIL B/ASIL C/ASIL D) for automotive software/ hardware, as per the ISO 26262 standard.
- Real-time simulation with HIL Testing (Hardware-in-loop): Automation in HIL Testing using tools like VT System.
- MIL Testing (Model-in-loop)– Expertise in MATLAB/Simulink tools for creation of the testing environment to verify the model
- SIL Testing (Software-in-loop )– Algorithm testing at all stages of product development within the modeling environment.
- We have expertise in execution of HIL/MIL/SIL testing with the help of tools such as CANalyzer, LabView, ETAS Tool Chain, Rational Quality Manger
- Complete test coverages, as per the ISO 26262 standard, to ensure that required ASIL grade (ASIL B/ASILC/ASIL D)is achieved
- Support for CAN conformance test
- CAN conformance test as per ISO 11989 standard
- Automated execution of CAN conformance test using different tools
- Complete test coverage as per OEM-specific requirements
HIL Testing, MIL Testing and SIL Testing: Understanding the Process Flow-diagram
- The automotive software or hardware testing requirements are uploaded to Rational DOORS Tool (a Requirement Management Tool). Any kind of changes, in the testing requirements, can be managed with the help of this tool.
- Each testing artifact is then analyzed to segregate the software requirements against which functional testing is required to be performed.
- Rational, a Quality Manager Tool is then used to define the test cases w.r.t the requirements. Single test case might fulfill multiple requirements.
- The test cases are then executed using various functional testing tools such as LabView, ETAS & VT System.
- Post the completion of the functional testing, test reports are generated, and bugs are logged in Rational Quality manager.
- These bugs are then tracked for resolution and shared with the customers for inspection. The steps are repeated till the number of bugs come down to acceptable value.
Customer Success Stories: HIL Testing, MIL Testing, SIL Testing & more
Customer FAQs’ for Unit, Integration and Functional Testing Services
Ans. Yes, we have experience in helping such customers in setting-up such test labs.
Our V&V (Verification & Validation) Consultants will travel to your location and set-up the Offshore Development Centre (ODC).
Basis your requirements, the validation and testing tools will also be deployed for the testing processes. Any additional support will also be provided as per the project specifications.
Ans. Yes, our Consultants can provide testing of your existing product and deliver the required test reports.
The test reports will be generated as per the specifications of the project. Our testing and validation team has expertise in various tools, following is the indicative lists of such tools:
- Tessy tool, CANTATA, RTRT for Unit Testing,
- CAPL Script, Mx-VDev for Integration testing
- CANAlyzer, LabView, ETAS for HIL Testing, SIL Testing and MIL Testing.
We have collaborated with some of our customers for testing of Low-level drivers and protocol software stacks such as UDS (ISO 14229) and CAN (ISO 11898).
We have an industry-recognized and proven competency in Tessy tool.
Ans. Our testing services are primarily provided on a Time and Material basis. You will be billed on actual man hours as well as the cost of test tools licenses.
In scenarios where our association require long term commitment, we can design the engagement based on ‘fixed price model’. This happens when there is a detailed long-term roadmap for the project and the understanding of the complexity of the code.
Ans. Choosing us as your technology partner, you get a dedicated team of professionals working on the project.
Usually, the team working on a Unit, Integration or Functional Testing project has the following members:
- Test Manager: A test manager is usually a senior testing engineer. He/She oversees the project, plans the test strategy and interacts with the customers on a regular basis.
- Testing Engineers: Test Engineers’ role is to perform the tests, be it unit testing, integration or HIL/MIL/SIL Testing. They write the test cases based on requirements and execute them using different testing tools.
Ans. Absolutely! We take the safety and integrity of your code very seriously. To follow it in letter and spirit, we strictly adhere to the guidelines prescribed in standards such as GDPR and ISO 27001.
At Embitel, it is mandatory for all the members of the Testing Team to clear an online test for these standards.
On top of this, every code transfer is done over Secure FTP.
Ans. If the project demands, we can send across our testing engineers to the customers’ location as per our offshore business model.
As an alternative, we can set up an Offshore Development Centre (ODC) for the testing project. The customers can send the software module for testing. As we have a secure FTP in place, the code sent for testing is completely secure.
The tests will be performed, and reports will be shared within the agreed-upon timeframe.
Ans. The Deliverables of the Functional Testing/Unit Testing/Integration Testing include:
- Unit Test Reports
- Integration Test Reports
- Validation Reports
In addition to these reports, our testing team will also provide Tool reports from tools like Tessy, CANTATA, etc.
Ans. We keep the customers apprised of the project development by sharing the Timesheets on a weekly or monthly basis.
Details of completed and pending tasks, overall health of the project. are also mentioned in the timesheet.
Project Managers are also in constant touch with the customers to update them on the latest developments of the project.
Related Blogs: Learn more about Automotive ECU Testing, Test Automation Frameworks and Vehicle Diagnostics Stacks
What are different Tools Used for Unit Testing, Integration Testing and Functional Testing for Automotive Systems?
- There are a number of testing tools that help in the execution of unit, integration, functional testing of automotive systems.
- We have expertise in the following tools for software and hardware verification:
- DOORS Requirement Management Tool: It is a tool from IBM that helps capture, trace, analyze, and manage the requirements for a customer. It proves to be a useful tool in automotive software/hardware testing especially, functional testing.
- Rational Quality Manager: It is a web-based tool from IBM . It adds value to the Functional Testing (HIL,MIL,SIL) process by automating the test planning, test construction and test management activities.
- CANalyzer/CANoe: These are software development and Testing tools from Vector. One of the functions of CANalyzer/CANoe is to help in analysis and simulation of network communication between various Electronic Control Units (ECU).
- LabView: LabView is a Test Automation Framework from National Instrument. It helps to control and customize a Functional Testing system. LabView expedites the SIL, MIL and HIL Testing process and proves to be an efficient testing framework that also helps reduce time-to-market.
- CANTATA: CANTATA is also a Test Automation framework. CANTATA automates Unit Testing and Integration Testing. It enables the software developers to achieve compliance with different standards such as ISO 26262, MISRA C & more.
- Mx-VDev: Mx-VDEV is a very popularly used Unit and Integration Testing tool. Mx-VDEV automates the creation and execution of test cases for Unit Testing and Integration Testing of Electronics Control Unit applications.
- RTRT: RTRT is a test automation framework, that can perform a number of automotive software testing activities such as unit testing, coverage analysis and system testing.
- ETAS: ETAS is also a test automation tool, that can perform HIL testing as well. In one of our projects, we have used ETAS tool for HIL testing of Exhaust System Software.