Automotive Electronic Control Unit Testing Services
Product Testing: Electronic Control Units (ECU), Vehicle Networking & Diagnostics Stacks
Our Software & Hardware Testing teams have in-depth Automotive Domain expertise. For more than a decade, We have been partnering with Automotive OEMs’ and Suppliers from USA, China, Taiwan, South Korea, India, and Europe.
Our Testing Teams have experience in delivering projects for Functional, Unit, Integration and System testing of the following automotive products:
- Car Instrument Clusters
- Seating: Heat and Cool Systems.
- Car Head-up display
- All automotive ECUs
- ADAS components like Cruise Control
- Anti-lock braking system
- Seating Control (Easy Entry/ Easy Exit)
Support for Unit Testing, Integration Testing and Functional Testing for Electronic Control Units (ECU)
For more than a decade, our Automotive ECU Testing team has supported customers for unit testing, system testing, functional testing and integration testing
- Statement Coverage– We ensure that all code blocks are tested thoroughly. This is a preliminary testing technique that precedes branch coverage.
- Branch Coverage– In-depth view of the code by testing all conditions. Ensures no code branch causes any anomalies
- Decision or Boolean Coverage (MCDC) – We test every possible outcome of a decision and all entry/exit points are checked. Recommended for ASIL-D compliance as per the Functional Safety framework, as defined by ISO 26262 standard.
- Thorough testing of each interface of the sub modules with all other modules.
- The interface code is checked to ensure proper interaction with other interfaces.
- Real-time simulation with HIL Testing (Hardware-in-loop). Testing of the controller in virtual but realistic conditions, for system validation.
- MIL Testing (Model-in-loop)– Expertise in MATLAB/Simulink tools for creation of the testing environment to verify the model
- SIL Testing (Software-in-loop )– Algorithm testing at all stages of product development within the modeling environment.
ECU Testing Services: MISRA C, ISO 26262 Compliance and Automation Frameworks
Embitel offers a wide array of ECU testing services to cater the diverse requirements of the automotive OEMs and suppliers.
Developing test strategies.
ECU Testing practices designed to help you achieve (ISO 26262) Functional Safety Compliance (ASIL B/ASIL C/ASIL D)/p>
Ensuring testability of software requirement with formal techniques
Automated & Manual Test execution and fault tracing
Defect reporting and verification
Static code checks & analysis using tools like Polyspace; MISRA C check performed by PCLint tool
Test suite automation using scripts and Test Automation Frameworks like LabView, CANTATA, RTRT and others.
Validation on vehicle simulators / labcars
CAN/LIN Conformance testing using CANoe tool
J1939 Conformance testing
Developing validation and verification plans and scripts for vehicle subsystems
Automotive Functional Testing: The Process Flow-diagram
- The ECU testing requirements are uploaded to DOORS (a Requirement Management Tool). Any kind of changes, in the testing requirements, can be managed with the help of this tool.
- Each testing artifact is then analyzed to segregate the software requirements against which functional testing is required to be performed.
- Rational, a Quality Manager Tool is then used to define the test cases w.r.t the requirements. Single test case might fulfill multiple requirements.
- The test cases are then executed using various ECU testing tools such as LabView & VT System.
- Post the completion of the functional testing, test reports are generated, and bugs are logged in Rational Quality manager.
- These bugs are then tracked for resolution and shared with the customers for inspection. The steps are repeated till the number of bugs come down to acceptable value.
Expertise in Automotive ECU Testing Tools:
- DOORS Requirement Management Tool: It is a tool from IBM that helps capture, trace, analyze, and manage the requirements for a customer. It proves to be a useful tool in ECU Testing, especially, functional testing.
- Rational Quality Manager: It is a web-based tool from IBM . It adds value to the ECU Testing process by automating the test planning, test construction and test management activities.
- CANalyzer/CANoe: These are software development and ECU Testing tools from Vector. CANalyzer/CANoe help in analysis and simulation of network communication between various Electronic Control Units (ECU).
- LabView: LabView is a Test Automation Framework from National Instrument. LabView helps to control and customize an ECU Testing system. LabView expedites the ECU Testing process and proves to be an efficient testing framework that also helps reduce time-to-market.
- CANTATA: CANTATA is also a Test Automation framework. CANTATA automates Unit Testing and Integration Testing. It enables the software developers to achieve compliance with different standards such as ISO 26262, MISRA C & more.
- Mx-VDev: Mx-VDEV is a very popularly used ECU Testing tool. Mx-VDEV automates the creation and execution of test cases for Unit Testing and Integration Testing of Electronics Control Units (ECU).
- RTRT: RTRT is a test automation framework, that can perform a number of ECU testing activities such as unit testing, coverage analysis and system testing.
- PolySpace: It is one of the most reliable software testing tools for static analysis of the code. Polyspace tool checks for run-time errors in the source code. PolySpace tool is also instrumental in achieving MISRA C compliance.
- ETAS: ETAS is also a test automation tool, that can perform HIL testing as well. In one of our projects, we have used ETAS tool for HIL testing of Exhaust System Software.
Customer Success Stories: HIL Testing, MIL Testing, SIL Testing & more
- Development of plant and controller models for an autonomous vehicle and perform the Software in Loop (SIL) testing.
- HIL Testing of Engine Control Unit
- Functional validation of the CAN controller of an ARM cored Integrated GPS chip
- Vehicle simulation and testing of the powerplant for high and cornering torques in hard real time.
- MIL and SIL testing of Autonomous Guidance Sys. SIMULINK, Statflow, TruckSim
- Park Aid – Diagnostic and Functional Validation