Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) updates for IoT and Automotive devices
Whether it is an automotive ECU product or field-deployed Industrial Automation devices, integration of Firmware over the Air (FOTA) update feature has become a mission-critical process.
FOTA/OTA updates are necessary to ensure secure and robust operations throughout the product development and deployment life-cycle.
Leverage our IoT and Automotive domain expertise of more than 12 years, for custom development of hardware and software components for integration of FOTA/OTA update.
Features of our FOTA/OTA Update Service for Remote Device Management:
This enables your team to focus on core product development activities
Design and Development Services for FOTA/OTA Integration
- Flash Memory Selection -NOT, NAND & more, based on your project requirements.
- Integration of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/GPRS/GSM modules for secure communication between the FOTA server and the target devices.
- Design and development of Firmware Software and integration with IoT protocols such as MQTT, CoAP ; HTTPS & SSL for secure data exchange; FTP/FTPS for file transfer.
- Selection of specific encryption methods to check the sanity of the update package.
- Deciding the level of FOTA update required (At the whole system level, OS& the application level , or at the application level).
- Bootloader development to enable firmware download and reprogramming on the application device.
- Design and development of the FOTA management server interface and other GUIs to build/schedule/deploy/manage the update package
- Design and development of the interface (GUI) to build/schedule/deploy/manage the update package.
- Tracking as well as reporting the successful instances of firmware updates.
- Integration of Firmware Rollback mechanism to mitigate any failure or bug detected during the FOTA/OTA update.
- Development of Automated test frameworks to enable devices to perform self-test & send status reports, at the end of an update.
- After design and development of the FOTA feature for your connected devices, the hardware and software components are subjected to the following pre-production test-case scenarios:
- Power Failure
- Communication Failure
- Memory Corruption
- Failure to boot the new firmware image
- Flashing of a corrupted firmware image
- Failure to retrieve the information about the configuration & last status of the firmware
We also perform Image self-tests to check if all the firmware functions are working properly.
Meet Our IoT Leaders
Components of FOTA System
FOTA/OTA Updates for your Connected Systems: Business Benefits
- Safeguard your applications against any possible security vulnerability
- Efficient and remote management of your critical work product and site equipment.
- OPTIMIZE DATA COSTS and minimize system downtime by updating numerous changes in one go, over-the-air.
- Update your firmware in line with your SCALING business.
- Reduce on-field MAINTENANCE COSTS by updating firmware on device, post-deployment
- With FOTA you can do:
- Feature updates
- Functional updates
Anytime, on Any number of connected systems
FAQs Regarding FOTA/OTA Updates: IoT and Automotive Devices
FOTA Installation is a Three Step Process
- New update or the new version of the software/firmware is made available in the cloud server by the device owners.
- The latest firmware update is downloaded and made available to the network of the IoT or automotive devices ( e.g a Telematics unit in the car or a IoT enabled equipment in a manufacturing plant).
- The FOTA server stores all the information related to the devices in the network such as the current status, the existing version of the firmware in use, within a large database.
- The server also manages the process such as sending the firmware to the target application as and when they are published (or based on a schedule); Identifying any bug in the firmware, Reporting any fault or bug in the firmware code.
- The end devices or the application pull the upgrades from the server based on either the subscribe-publish mechanism or a polling mechanism over a secure wireless ( Wi-Fi/ BLE)connection.
- Installing new firmware and updating of software in the end-user application with the help of a bootloader
FOTA Customer Success Stories