Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) updates for IoT and Automotive devices
Whether it is an automotive ECU product or field-deployed Industrial Automation devices, integration of Firmware over the Air (FOTA) update feature has become a mission-critical process.
FOTA/OTA updates are necessary to ensure secure and robust operations throughout the product development and deployment life-cycle.
Leverage our IoT and Automotive domain expertise of more than 12 years, for custom development of hardware and software components for integration of FOTA/OTA update.
Features of our FOTA/OTA Update Service for Remote Device Management:
This enables your team to focus on core product development activities
Design and Development Services for FOTA/OTA Integration
- Flash Memory Selection -NOT, NAND & more, based on your project requirements.
- Integration of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/GPRS/GSM modules for secure communication between the FOTA server and the target devices.
- Design and development of Firmware Software and integration with IoT protocols such as MQTT, CoAP ; HTTPS & SSL for secure data exchange; FTP/FTPS for file transfer.
- Selection of specific encryption methods to check the sanity of the update package.
- Deciding the level of FOTA update required (At the whole system level, OS& the application level , or at the application level).
- Bootloader development to enable firmware download and reprogramming on the application device.
- Design and development of the FOTA management server interface and other GUIs to build/schedule/deploy/manage the update package
- Design and development of the interface (GUI) to build/schedule/deploy/manage the update package.
- Tracking as well as reporting the successful instances of firmware updates.
- Integration of Firmware Rollback mechanism to mitigate any failure or bug detected during the FOTA/OTA update.
- Development of Automated test frameworks to enable devices to perform self-test & send status reports, at the end of an update.
After design and development of the FOTA feature for your connected devices, the hardware and software components are subjected to the following pre-production test-case scenarios:
- Power Failure
- Communication Failure
- Memory Corruption
- Failure to boot the new firmware image
- Flashing of a corrupted firmware image
- Failure to retrieve the information about the configuration & last status of the firmware
We also perform Image self-tests to check if all the firmware functions are working properly.
Meet Our IoT Leaders
Components of FOTA System
FOTA/OTA Updates for your Connected Systems: Business Benefits
- Safeguard your applications against any possible security vulnerability
- Efficient and remote management of your critical work product and site equipment.
- OPTIMIZE DATA COSTS and minimize system downtime by updating numerous changes in one go, over-the-air.
- Update your firmware in line with your SCALING business.
- Reduce on-field MAINTENANCE COSTS by updating firmware on device, post-deployment
- With FOTA you can do:
- Feature updates
- Functional updates
Anytime, on Any number of connected systems
FAQs Regarding FOTA/OTA Updates: IoT and Automotive Devices
FOTA Installation is a Three Step Process
- New update or the new version of the software/firmware is made available in the cloud server by the device owners.
- The latest firmware update is downloaded and made available to the network of the IoT or automotive devices ( e.g a Telematics unit in the car or a IoT enabled equipment in a manufacturing plant).
- The FOTA server stores all the information related to the devices in the network such as the current status, the existing version of the firmware in use, within a large database.
- The server also manages the process such as sending the firmware to the target application as and when they are published (or based on a schedule); Identifying any bug in the firmware, Reporting any fault or bug in the firmware code.
- The end devices or the application pull the upgrades from the server based on either the subscribe-publish mechanism or a polling mechanism over a secure wireless ( Wi-Fi/ BLE)connection.
- Installing new firmware and updating of software in the end-user application with the help of a bootloader