An automotive after-market company, with product development centers in USA and India, that provides IoT solutions for commercial vehicles and driver analytics.Our customer has designed innovative driver and fleet safety solutions leveraging Deep Learning, Video Analytics and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- One of the driver and fleet safety solutions monitors a range of driving data like seat-belt detection, driver drowsiness, speed of the fleet, engine temperature, emission control, diagnostics and other automotive ECU (electronic control unit) related data.
- While the driver and environment related data is captured through vision sensors and cameras, a host of vehicle diagnostics and engine data is available only through CAN/LIN in-vehicle networks.
- Our customer was looking for an automotive embedded systems partner with expertise in vehicle diagnostics, J1939 and OBD2 stacks integration and CAN/LIN interface development.
- The customer had recognized the need for a customized solution to meet the unique needs of their AI-based product. However, they also expected the product engineering services partner to help them reduce time-to-market and costs.
- Our Automotive Software development team has designed pre-tested, easily configurable and re-usable SAE J1939 and OBD2 (on-board diagnostics) software stacks.
- During the technology workshops, our customer developed trust in our capabilities and the quality of our automotive communication and vehicle diagnostics stacks (J1939 and OBD2).
- The customer also developed the confidence that configuration and integration of J1939 and OBD2 software stacks will ensure reduced time-to-market and embedded software development costs.
- Our automotive software developers implemented integration of SAE J1939 and OBD2 stacks with Freescale/NXP MCS9S12G controller.
- These pre-tested SAE J1939 and OBD2 software stacks were customized to collect vehicle diagnostics, ECU communication and emission control related data and feed it to the IoT platform.
- SPI interface was designed to facilitate communication between Freescale/NXP controller and the processor of the IoT device.
- Our embedded software team developed a gateway software to capture and process data from CAN/LIN and send it to the processor in a compatible format.
- We also integrated a Flash Boot loader for ECU (electronic control unit) reprogramming through SPI.
- Our team designed and integrated all the low-level device drivers and also customized SPI drivers to support processor and controller communications.
- On-chip memory consumption was a critical technology challenge in this project since we were integrating J1939 and OBD2 software stacks with the IoT device for fleet safety and alerts.
- Our automotive team followed best practices of embedded software development and customized the configuration of J1939 and OBD2 stacks to overcome the on-chip memory limitation.
- Since the J1939 and OBD-II stacks and low-level device drivers were pre-packaged, pre-tested and were readily available for deployment, it helped us save software development costs and time for the customer.
Tools and Technologies:
- CanOe tool for capl scripting.
- Dcan and Samdia tools for configuration and testing of J1939 stack.
- Freematics OBD-II Emulator for OBD2 stack configuration and testing.
- Software coding language : Embedded C.
- Software IDE: Code Warrior.
- Automotive Protocols : CAN, J1939 and OBD-II.