Integration of SAE J1939 stack with an Android Infotainment system | In-vehicle ECU communication
As a trusted embedded technology partner, we at Embitel Technologies have delivered an end-to-end automotive infotainment solution for a Tier-I Supplier.
Now under production, this system will be deployed for commercial vehicles.
The infotainment system is loaded with information and entertainment related multimedia features like virtual gauges, navigation maps, voice recognition, access to media files, app-store, phone call/message syncing using BT and more.
Hence this system needs to communicate with several ECUs to fetch various vehicle parameters.
Embitel’s infotainment software development team needed an off-the-shelf communication layer that can be configured easily. This would ensure reduced development time and add value to the bottomline of the project costs.
Embitel Solution: in-house designed reusable J1939 stack with provisions for faster configuration:
The team decided to integrate the J1939 stack designed in-house to save time and costs. So our cross-functional expertise in Embedded and Automotive technology added value to our client’s product roadmap.
Following are the details of the solution:
- Re-usable SAE J1939-compliant stack best suited for commercial vehicles was integrated with the Android OS.
- The ported J1939 stack consisted of J1939 Data Link and Transport Layer (J1939\21), Network Management layer (J1939/81) and Vehicle Application Layer(J1939/71).
- 50 PGNs were easily configured only in the Application layer, rest of the stack was integrated as it is.
- SAE J1939 compliant Boot Loader was also ported to facilitate eprogramming of ECUs efficiently and securely via CAN network.
- All this ensured support for vehicle communication and reprogramming of ECUs.
- All the necessary device drivers were designed, developed and ported by Embitel.
- J1939 stack has been coded as per the MISRA (Motor Industry Software Reliability Association) -C guidelines to ensure code safety, security, portability and reliability for embedded Infotainment system and applications.
- J1939 stack also ensured Enhanced Portability for the entire system (Support for 8, 16 and 32 bit Embedded Controllers).
- Reduced development time and costs as the readily available and re-usable J1939 stack was integrated.
- Since PGN configuration was required to be done only at the Application Layer, it ensured added time advantage.
- Cross-functional teams with complementary skill-sets delivered a timely value-add to the overall cost and quality to the infotainment project.
What is an Infotainment System?
Infotainment in automobiles is the integrated system that delivers entertainment and information content.
Typical tasks that can be performed with an in-vehicle infotainment system include managing and playing audio content, utilizing navigation for driving, delivering rear-seat entertainment such as movies, games, social networking, etc., listening to incoming and sending outgoing SMS text messages, making phone calls, and accessing Internet-enabled or smartphone-enabled content such as traffic conditions, sports scores and weather forecasts.
Source – Webopedia