Q. How scalable is Embitel’s IoT gateway solution?
- A. During the requirement analysis phase, we estimate the scope and extend of scalability demanded by the project. Our IoT gateway solutions can be scaled horizontally or vertically, based on your requirements.
- Horizontal scaling involves adding more gateways to the existing network. These gateways can be interconnected using a common communication bus without affecting the existing network of gateways.
- Vertical scaling involves adding more resources such as memory, device software, OS, hardware and API’s to the gateway.
Q. How cost effective is it to implement IoT solutions?
- A. A well-designed IoT solution has the potential to increase the profit margin of businesses. This can be achieved by optimizing the maintenance cost, delivering exceptional customer experience, devising additional revenue streams (by providing add-on services) and reducing machine failures.
- Organizations who have adopted IoT framework, in the right spirit, have demonstrated improvements in the operational efficiency and ROI.
- From IoT enabled solar energy trackers, enterprise battery management systems leveraging predictive maintenance to IoT enabled industrial automation, the industrial uses cases of IoT implementations are plenty.
Q. Can you help us connect our ZigBee device to the cloud?
- A. Yes, we can help you to connect the ZigBee device to the cloud. Not just ZigBee, we can help you with the entire IoT setup. We can setup sensors, IoT gateway, cloud servers and your analytics application.
Q. How do you ensure the security of the IoT systems during the data exchange?
- A. Data communication between the IoT gateway and the server is protected using hybrid data encryption standards such as 2028 bits RSA and 256 bits AES.
Q. What can be done if an IoT gateway loses connection to the cloud?
- A. Embitel anticipates all failure scenarios and provides with flexible failover strategies. For example, when the gateway connectivity is lost, data may be temporarily stored in the device’s memory or on a disk. All the temporary data will be pushed to the server as soon as the device connectivity is restored.
Q. Can we connect our existing analytics application to the data collected from the IoT gateways?
- A. Yes, we can connect any new or your existing legacy system with the data aggregated from the IoT gateway.
Q. What are the minimum hardware requirements to develop an IoT project?
- A. Hardware requirements change for each project. For more details about the hardware requisites to develop a foolproof IoT project, please contact our IoT experts .
Q. How do you ensure the hardware security?
- A. We highly value our customer’s projects and make sure that the entire network is secure. We use trusted platform module (TPM) and trusted execution environment (TEE) to ensure hardware security in an IoT gateway
- TPM is a chip for encrypting the data that can be installed at the endpoint. The TEE includes an API, a kernel, and a trusted OS that runs the security check along with the usual OS.
Q. What devices can be connected using industrial IoT solution?
- A. The possibilities of connecting a device/machine in to an industrial IoT system are endless.
- A business can connect HVAC System, Energy Distribution System (Smart Grids), Biometric System, Alarm System, Fire Control, Sensors, or Actuators etc. with the system.
Q. Where is the data collected from the IoT Gateways stored?
- A. Embitel doesn’t store the data collected from the IoT gateway in its own servers. We configure servers for each of our client and store the data collected in the specified servers. The servers can be configured either at the client side or on a 3rd party cloud platform chosen by the client.
- We can store the data either in the SQL database or the NoSQL database, based on the requirement.
Q. Do you also develop IoT gateway devices?
- A. Embitel is not directly involved in IoT gateway manufacturing. We collaborate with national and international business organizations as a design partner for IoT hardware and software. Our core focus is to help our customers with design of customized IoT ( gateway) solutions, that are aligned with their business goals for long term benefits.
- We conduct IoT design workshops with our IoT consultants for our customers to analyze their requirement and plan out a customized and cost-efficient architecture design.
Q. Build or Buy- Which is the best IoT gateway development approach that I should choose for my business?
- A. On a broader scale, a ‘build’ strategy for IoT gateway development means developing a solution that is tailored for your business goals and hence greater degree of ownership ( of the solution). Meanwhile, a “buy” strategy means you have to mold your business goals in accordance with readily available solution.Read this blog where we list down key parameters to consider for resolving your “Build vs buy” dilemma.The following table analyses build vs buy strategy for IoT gateway development, based on key business parameters:
Key Considerations Off-the-Shelf Custom Developed IoT Gateway Time To Market Less, as the product is ready to be deployed More, as it needs to meet all the customization requirement Degree of ownership ( IP Rights) Is majorly with the IoT solution provider You are the owner of the final product design Support and Maintenance As per the terms and conditions of IoT Gateway Vendor Can be negotiated and tailor-made before signing the contract. Prototype Development Best suited for prototype development using standard hardware and software components Not feasible due to high cost per unit. Competitive advantage Lesser time to market. Freedom to add features you like
Include and pay only for the features that you need.
That said, each of the two IoT gateway development approaches have their own benefits and limitations. The decision regarding choosing a build vs buy IoT gateway solution depends mainly on your business goals.
Q. How long does it take to develop an IoT solution?
- A. takes between 4 to 6 months (based your requirement) to develop an IoT solution. Meanwhile, the PoC (Proof-Of-Concept) can be delivered in 2 months.
If you need more information on developing an IoT solution for your business, please get in touch with our sales team.