During our fulfilling journey of more than a decade in Automotive Industry, we have developed a robust ecosystem for delivering quality Motor Control design solutions.
These include Brushless DC Motor Controller and PMSM Motor Control Solutions
This ecosystem consists of experienced Embedded Software and Hardware Engineers, Automotive Domain Experts and Industry Partners.
For more than 12 years, our focus area has always been Product Engineering Services (Embedded Software and Hardware design services). This has facilitated our team to develop in-depth expertise in Model Based Development and in delivering Functional Safety (ISO 26262) and AUTOSAR complaint solutions.
We have partnered with customers to develop electronic based motor control solutions for Electronic Power Steering (EPS), Seating Control, Smart Actuator for Turbo Chargers and other applications.
Expertise in types of Motors
Experience in embedded system development for
- Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM)
- Induction motor
- Single Phase and 3 Phase Motor
- DC motors (Brushed) in power window.
- Brushless DC Motors (BLDC) deployed in Electronic Power Steering, Seating Control etc.
- Expertise in DC motor controller – Torque Speed characteristics /PID tuning
Software & Hardware Design services for Motor Control Electronic Systems
Hardware Design & Consulting Services
Consulting services for evaluation and selection of microcontroller and other hardware components like:
Automotive Grade Hardware Development, Support for EM and Thermal Analysis
Application Software & Motor Control Algorithm Development
Expertise in following control algorithm development
Support for application software development
AUTOSAR and Non-AUTOSAR compliant Base Software (BSW) development support
MCAL / low-level Driver Development
BSW Layer Development
Application Software Development
Application Software Development
AUTOSAR and Vehicle Diagnostics Support
Meet Our Automotive Leaders
Aneesh has 15+ years of experience in the Automotive Industry. As a Technology Leader, he has been instrumental in developing our team's competency in Electric Vehicles, Motor Control Systems, Electronic Control Unist, Functional Safety and more.
Aneesh is well-known for his brilliance in understanding the customers’ pain point and devising the right solution. A person with calm and composed demeanor, Aneesh always leads from the front.Aneesh Adkadkam | Head-Automotive BU
('Captain Cool' of our Automotive Team)
Suresh is the man with solutions. A pro in multitasking, Suresh is always there for his team and also handles the customers’ problems with alacrity.
Under Suresh, the automotive team has delivered some very critical projects with the biggest OEMs and suppliers. His ability to understand the customers’ pain points and come up with solutions is his biggest virtue.Suresh Kumar | Technical Manager
(A people’s Manager)
Video Explaining Motors as the Power and Motion Delivery System in a Vehicle
AUTOSAR, Partial AUTOSAR and non-AUTOSAR Software Architectures
Depending on the project specification, we can help you follow any of three approaches in automotive motor control software architecture:
Steps Involved Motor Control Hardware Design Process
Tools and Technologies Expertise
- MATLAB, Simulink, Stateflow, RTW, E-coder
- PIC, Renesas, Fujitsu, Freescale controllers
- Fujitsu, PIC, Renesas tool chains
- Renesas RL78/F-13 Family Microcontroller
- IAR Embedded Workbench
- ORCAD: Schematic Design
- Simscape: Used within Simulink to create model of physical systems
- Allegro: Layout
- Hyperlynx 8.0 : EM and Thermal Analysis
Motor Control System Customer Success Stories
Related Blogs: Learn more about Motor Control Solutions for Automotive Products
- Automotive Motor Control System: The Brain Behind the Brushless DC Motors in an Automotive Application
- Brushless DC Motor vs PMSM: Find Out How These Motors and Their Motor Control Solutions Work
- [Video] All About Motors: The Power & Motion Delivery System for Automotive Applications
- [Video] Meet Motor Control System: The Brain behind the Automotive Motors
FAQs Regarding Motor Control System Development
- Ans. Yes, we have deployed current protection modules in our previous designs for motor control system.The first method is the low side current sensing also called the shunt method. Alternatively, we have also used resettable fuses in the system entry point in a way that it triggers during the over-current scenarios.
Ans. Yes, our team has the necessary skill-sets, automotive domain expertise and project experience for delivering an AUTOSAR complaint Motor Control Solution.
We have integrated robust and production grade versions of third party stacks like BSW and RTE software for AUTOSAR projects in the past.
Our team will collaborate with you to develop the Automotive Application as per AUTOSAR compliance. We will also support in development of MCAL and CDD modules
Ans. Yes. We have a team of ISO26262 functional safety experts that will work with the motor control development team to ensure ASIL compliance.
We provide support for every aspect of the Functional Safety Lifecycle and also perform FMEA, HARA, and hardware FMEDA for motor control systems.
We have worked with leading Automotive Suppliers and OEMs’ for ASIL compliance of a motor control ECUs’ in the past.
Ans. Yes, we do provide all the required support for integration of motor control system at production level. If you require, our experts will visit on-site for a seamless integration.
Ans. Our team has been working on multiple projects, where we are developing software solutions for global production programs of Electric Vehicles
For such engagements, we have been partnering with customers for design of Motor Control Hardware and Software modules for Electric Vehicle programs in Asia, US and Europe.
Ans. We have successfully delivered motor control solution designs based on various microcontroller families including NXP/Freescale, Renesas, Microchip, Fujitsu and TI. We also have BSPs and communication stacks readily available for these platforms.
The choice of MCU to be used rests with the customers, however, we also provide consultation to help you choose the most suitable platform.
Ans. A few of the diagnostics features that we have implemented in our motor control system projects include:
- Short protection like short to GND, Short to VBAT and Open Circuit
- Based on any diagnostic errors, Drive circuit is completely OFF or Limited Drive controlled by Software.
Based upon the specific requirements of the project, we also add more diagnostics features.
Ans. Yes. We have developed sensor-less BLDC motor systems for a few of our customers. From development to integration, we have provided end to end support in sensor less motor control development.
What is an Automotive Motor Control System?
- How do you think the new power steering system work with minimal force applied by the driver? How does a seat go forward, backward, up and down with a push of a button? The answer of both these question is the automotive motor control system
- In the simplest terms, a motor control application is a set of hardware and software components that drive a motor or multiple motors. These motors, in turn, perform actions such as opening-closing of windows, power steering movement and more.
- Depending on the type of motors to drive, these motor control systems can be a Brushless DC Motor Controller or PMSM Motor Control Solutions Type of motor control system
- Open Loop Motor: The motor control applications in which the quality of the output does not impact the input to the motor control process is called an open loop motor control system. It implies that they are open-ended system that do not have any feedback mechanism.
- Closed Loop Motor: A closed loop motor works on feedback mechanism and hence, it is also called feedback control system. An error signal is generated by the Gate Driver IC in case the actual output is different than the desired output. This error signal will go to the motor controller which will take necessary actions. In a way, it is a self-correcting motor control applications.
What are the components of a Motor Control System?
- Microcontroller: This is where the motor is controlled from. Microcontroller will have the pulse-width modulation (PWM) control and other motor drive logic.
- Gate Driver Unit: This Integrated Circuit acts a power amplifier. It will accept a low-power input from the motor controller IC and gives high-power input to a switch that transfers it to the motor.
- MOSFETs: These are switches that will again amplify the signal received from the gate drivers. This signal will be passed to the stator of the motor causing an Electro Magnetic Flux, EMF.
- H-Bridge: H-bridge is again a circuit that helps a DC motor to run in both clockwise and anti-clockwise. It can apply the voltage to a load in any direction and this how it controls the direction of the motor.
- Motor: Motors can be DC, AC, Brushless, brushed etc. They are used depending on the use cases and the application.
- So, in order to run the motor, a set of data (PWM signals) flows from microcontroller to the motor via the gate drivers and MOSFETs.