Business Engagement Model
Our SAE J2534 protocol software provides the framework to enable ECU diagnostics, ECU reprogramming and collection of vehicle data over multiple networks such as CAN, ISO 15765, J1850, ISO 9141, KWP2000, J1939 and others. We offer implementation of both J2534-1, interface to reprogram emission related control units and J2534-2, an extended version to reprogram non-emission related ECUs.
Our automotive teams have successfully implemented the J2534 protocol solution for Pass-thru devices to enable ECU flashing and collecting vehicle diagnostic related data from the ECUs.
SAE J2534 Protocol Integration: Use Cases
- On-board Diagnostics over SAE J2534 Library
- OBD over CAN with configurable baud-rate
- OBD over K-Line supporting both slow and fast init
- Supports modes include $01, $02, $03, $04 and $09
- Vehicle Diagnostics integrated over SAE 2534 Library
- KWP2000 Client over CAN
- UDS client over CAN
- KWP2000 over K-Line
- Multi ECU Diagnosis
- Connection to multiple ECUs over CAN, K-Line, etc.
- Implementation of Physical and Application layer for multi ECU diagnosis
An Overview of Services and Support for SAE J2534 in Series Production
- Development of Pass-thru API with functions based on SAE J2534 standard
- Support for development of UDS, KWP2000, J1939, and OBD2 client software
- Capability to support for both PC based and Cloud-based ECU reprogramming tool
- End-to-End support for realization of various use-cases including OBD, UDS, Multi-ECU reprogramming
- Support for low-level driver development for CAN, K-Line, and other communication protocols
- Integration support for drivers provided by customers
- Custom development and integration of drivers specific to the use-case
- Unit testing, Functional Testing, and Integration Testing support
- Tessy Tool powered Unit Testing
- Documentation Services including creation of High-Level Design Document (HLDD) and Low-Level Design Document (LLDD)
- Design of Module Test Plan, Integration Test Plan, and Functional Test Plan
- MISRA C compliance and report creation using PolySpace tool
- Development of Tooling applications for vehicle diagnostics at OEM or service-center level
- Fault Code Memory (FCM) Configuration
- End of line ECU reprogramming
- Integration of OBD modes and UDS services as per project requirements
Architecture and Salient Features of Our SAE J2545 compliant Pass-thru API
- Fully configurable APIs with portable C code
- Support for both SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2
- Ready-to-integrate UDS, OBD, ISOTP client software stack for faster time-to-market
- Application independent SAE J2534 APIs
- Fully tested with competent testing tools like Tessy and PolySpace
- Complete integration support at target platform
What is SAE J2534 pass-thru API?
Ans: SAE J2534 is a set of APIs that enables communication between an external ECU re-programming tool and the vehicle control unit (ECU). It acts as a pass-thru protocol designed to make the application layer independent of the communication protocol, thereby allowing the re-programming devices to access the ECU without worrying about the underlying vehicle networking protocol. The re-programming application manages all aspects of the ECU re-programming and calibration through APIs specified in SAE J2534 standard.Few SAE J2534 API functions and their description:
- PassThruConnect– Establish a logical communication channel using the specified vehicle network protocol.
- PassThruDisconnect– Terminate an existing logical communication channel.
- PassThruReadMsgs– Receive network protocol messages from an existing logical communication channel
- PassThruWriteMsgs– Transmit network protocol messages over an existing logical communication channel
What is J2534-1 and J2534-2?
defines an Application Programming Interface (API) which can be deployed to re-program the emission related vehicle ECUs. Apart from re-programing the APIs can also be used for ECU calibration or reading vehicle data from the control units.
SAE J2534-2 is an extension of J2534-1 and defines some optional features that can be used for purposes beyond emission-related ECU flashing use-cases. J2534-2 is also capable of carrying out certain vehicle diagnostics related tasks.
How does SAE J2534 impact ECU reprogramming process?
The complexity arising from such ‘multiple tool’ scenario proved to be quite an expensive affair for aftermarket vendors that catered to the customization needs of these vehicles.
The SAE J2534 API defines functions for ECU-reprogramming that are independent of the application layer. This implies that a single J2534 enabled hardware device can be used to re-program the ECUs of different OEMs. All that is required is the integration of SAE J2534 APIs in the external flashing device.