[Demo] Implementation of FOC Algorithm for Motor Control System using SIMULINK
Field-oriented control algorithm is a vector control algorithm best suited for precision driving of electric motors. Owing to various mathematical calculations involved, FOC algorithm is a tough nut to crack. Thanks to tools like SIMULINK that uses model based design approach, developers are able to model, simulate and test FOC algorithm with much less effort compared to manual development.
In this demo, Manu Kumar begins by briefly explaining about FOC algorithm and quickly moves to build the model for it using SIMULINK.
Development of FOC algorithm using SIMULINK entails mathematical transformations of stator control in stationary reference frames into rotor flux reference frame. This is followed by closed loop PID control for speed and current loop. Again, the inverse transform is performed to convert the reference frame for PWM generation.
After establishing the following facts, the demo moves to creating the model using SIMULINK blocks. Following points are covered in the demo:
- An overview of FOC algorithm and the various mathematical transforms involved in it.
- Inputs, outputs, and configurable parameters used in the model creation are explained on the onset
- SIMULINK blocks that are used in the model creation are explained
- Building the control system using all blocks, inputs and outputs
- Steps involved in optimization of the model and code generation
How to use SIMULINK blocks to build a model? What are the configurable parameters to take care of?
You will get answers to these questions and more in this demo.