Digital Wallets Integration for Magento Commerce Websites Made Easy
A consortium of the UAE’s 16 prominent local banks came together to make an announcement earlier this month: their new digital wallet will be ready for rollout by the end of the year.
Dubai is working hard on the road to a cashless society, and the UAE’s digital wallet is a big step in that direction. Markus Vekinis, general manager of the Emirates Digital Wallet says the new wallet, which has been named Klip, will
- offer greater security by taking away the burden of carrying around large quantities of cash
- eliminate the costs involved in the printing, transport and maintenance of paper money
- include even those who don’t have bank accounts into the fold of a cashless economy
With the financial institutions on the warpath to make the Klip wallet popular by keeping it user-friendly and free for merchants and customers, it is a matter of time before the Emirates Digital Wallet will need to be integrated into Magento ecommerce stores.
Digital wallet integration for Magento websites
Digital wallets make shopping speedy and introduce a sense of security. Customers don’t need to enter card details every time they shop, and research has found this leads to reduced cart abandonment.
To encourage ecommerce websites to offer the use of digital wallets, the digital wallet companies offer easy methods of digital wallet integration. They provide custom APIs and PHP code to enable ecommerce website development companies to integrate the digital wallet.
For ecommerce mobile app developers, SDKs are provided for Android and iOS apps for integration of digital wallets.
While ecommerce developers will tell you they can complete digital wallet integration for your website in as less as a day, reliable integration will take up to 3 days.
- download of the code
- code integration into the website or app
- sandbox testing to mimic the actual environment and take the tester through the checkout and payment just as the final user would experience it
- testing on live servers on the day of going live.
How digital wallets work
When a customer uses a digital wallet, all he sees is a payment option that usually works with a single click. But there are several steps underway behind the scenes that ensure safety and security while making payment through a digital wallet.
- Upon choosing to check out, the customer is directed to a page that asks him to choose a payment option.
By clicking on the wallet, the customer initiates payment. The customer is then directed to an authorization page in a secure network. This ensures no fraud is being committed as well as gives the customer a chance to confirm that he indeed wishes to place the order and pay.
- Upon authorization (usually done through a saved password or OTP), a request hits the wallet’s servers. This request is encrypted by the gateway to ensure security.
- A call back is received from the wallet servers, which is verified by the ecommerce website.
- On the front-end, the user receives a ‘successful transaction message is displayed to the user, and a notification regarding the payment is processed on the backend.
How to choose a digital wallet for your ecommerce website
Klip is one among the many digital wallets out there, and integrating every wallet with your site is not possible. Not only will your site become too cluttered, you don’t want to overwhelm your customers with too many options and make it harder to find the ones that they actually use.
So how do you decide which wallets to integrate? Here are some features that are the hallmark of popular and reliable digital wallets:
- Seamless integration
- Pan-industry usage
- Market penetration
With seamless integration, the customer authorizes payment on your website itself—there is no need to be directed to the payment gateway or digital wallet website. This helps deliver a seamless experience where there is no need to for the customer to leave your website at any point.
How widely is the wallet used across your domain? You don’t want to offer payment options through gateways or wallets that aren’t frequently used—not only will your customer feel the lack of the popular choices, it will also lead to unnecessary integration.
This is different from the previous point as it considers the percent of users of the particular wallet irrespective of industry. It is, obviously a good idea to include a wallet that is used by buyers across domains as they are likelier to make a purchase through a wallet that they are already using.
Some wallets, like bank accounts, allow for auto-debits to facilitate periodic payments with minimum inconvenience to the end user. With merchants being urged to use Klip, a convenience such a monthly auto-debits for recurring payments such as grocery purchases offer an advantage for customers.
Digital wallet integration for ecommerce websites is now a necessity, and with wallet companies making it more and more easy, there’s no reason for ecommerce businesses to neglect it. Choose your digital wallet wisely, and enlist an experienced ecommerce website development company to assist you with reliable and secure integration.